Compiling Linux Driver under FreeBSD

Henrik W Lund henrik.w.lund at broadpark.no
Thu Jul 15 09:37:10 PDT 2004

Kenneth Culver wrote:

> <snip>

> What you want to do can't be done. The best you can do really is port the
> driver. The kernel internals/driver apis are totally different between
> linux
> and FreeBSD.
>
> Ken

Greetings!

Speaking of driver APIs, do you know of any good resources on that one?
I've tried the developer's handbook on the website, but this seems more
of a general introduction to programming with a little twist of FreeBSD
sprinkled lightly. Are there any secret manpages, like code(9) and
style(9) that are any good? I'm definitely getting "The design and
implementation of the FreeBSD operating system" when it comes out, but
that's this fall.

The reason I'm asking, is that I'm kinda toying with the idea of porting
nvidia-driver to amd64, but I've browsed the source, and it's a tad too
much to really get an understanding good enough to do any porting (or
even modifying, for that sake). I realize that there's also the whole
problem of nvidia-driver depending on Linux-compat, which isn't entirely
completed on amd64, but that's being worked on, as far as I know.
Besides, I won't be porting anything unless I learn the required APIs.

Must....learn....APIs.... Need....APIs....   ;-)

Thanks!
-Henrik W Lund