BTX HALTED!!! I can't get this rocket in the air

Saint Aardvark the Carpeted aardvark at saintaardvarkthecarpeted.com
Thu Jul 15 08:30:23 PDT 2004

Jerry Schromm disturbed my sleep to write:
> Hi FreeBSD folk.
> I am reading this install guide. And it doesn't get me past this one.
> For one. I downloaded the AMD64 ISO's. And this loader say's freeBSD/i386. Anyway.
> I boot to the loader and I can't select anything. Then BTX HALTED. That is all she
> wrote. If you all have the answer to this one. Please inform me.

I've seen this error on a few systems I've installed FreeBSD on, and
usually managed to get around it by fiddling with DMA options in the BIOS.
Which option I had to change varied between boxes, but look for anything
that mentions DMA (UltraDMA, DMA Mode, whatever) or PIO, and start
methodically tweaking them one at a time.

HTH,
Hugh

--
Saint Aardvark the Carpeted