Compiling Linux Driver under FreeBSD

Ahmad Zulkarnain alsemo at celcom.net.my
Thu Jul 15 08:24:01 PDT 2004

Dinesh Nair wrote:

>On Thu, 15 Jul 2004, Ahmad Zulkarnain wrote:
>

>>I'm a newbie runnin FreeBSD 5.2.1 on Clevo M22ES laptop. Sorry if my
>>question has been asked before. I have a built-in SmartLink modem (SiS
>>chipset) and I grabbed myself the official linux driver from their
>>website. Can I just compile the driver in FreeBSD? I'll be glad if
>>someone can point a howto sites fer it.
>>

>you can't really do that, ahmad. the linux drivers will probaly be using
>linux kernel syscalls which are not the same as for the freebsd kernel.
>what chipset is the smartlink modem using ? if it's the lucent chipset,
>you can use the ltmdm port at /usr/ports/net/ltmdm.
>
>btw, i'm in malaysia too, so do holler if you need any help.
>
>Regards,                           /\_/\   "All dogs go to heaven."
>dinesh at alphaque.com                (0 0)    http://www.alphaque.com/
>+==========================----oOO--(_)--OOo----==========================+
>| for a in past present future; do                                        |
>|   for b in clients employers associates relatives neighbours pets; do   |
>|   echo "The opinions here in no way reflect the opinions of my $a $b."  |
>| done; done                                                              |

Thanks fer the explaination Dinesh, Kris, Ken and Jerry! Sorry I took
your time by answerin it. It seems this question of mine has already
been asked a few times already. I tried ltmdm but it didn't work.
Definitely not a lucent chipset I guess. Anyway, thanks again. I'll
google some more of it.

[off topic]
Dinesh: I know you and I read bout you in OSS etc. Glad to see you here
:) . Oh I didn't know you live in Malaysia too. Anyway, thanks again guys.