closer, no cigar.

Gary Kline kline at magnesium.net
Wed Jul 14 11:04:58 PDT 2004

On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 10:14:27AM +0100, Jan Grant wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Jul 2004, Eric Crist wrote:
>
> > On Tuesday 13 July 2004 22:19, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> > > The first of these processes is sendmail started in submit mode by the
> > >
> > > `rc.sendmail' startup script.  The relevant rc.conf options are:
> > > : sendmail_enable="NO"
> > > : sendmail_submit_enable="YES"
> > > : sendmail_submit_flags="-L smtpd -bd -q30m
> > > : -ODaemonPortOptions=Addr=localhost"
> > >
> > > - Giorgos
> >
> > Can you exlpain exactly what submit mode is for?  Is it something you want
> > running on a production mail server?
>
> Eric, the first three paragraphs of section 1 of RFC 2476 explain this.
>
> In a nutshell: an MTA is not supposed to "munge" email (apart from
> adding Received: headers and the like); however, many local clients
> submit via SMTP and the mail server needs to do lots more work:
> rewriting email addresses, and so on. The split of sendmail's operation
> into MTA (Transmission) and MSA (Submission) is to support this.

	This is where I run aground into the mud of confusion.
	I always thought tat sendmail was just an MTA.  Hang the rest.
	But then, sendmail is getting to reuire a Ph D to use....

	gary

	PS: everything incomng is still being queued....

Gary Kline  Seattle BSD Users' Group (seabug)      | kline at magnesium.net
            Thought Unlimited Org's Alternate Email Site
	    http://www.magnesium.net/~kline
   To live is not a necessity; but to live honorably...is a necessity. -Kant