I downloaded everything to no avail! ISO's fail to burn

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Wed Jul 14 10:23:35 PDT 2004

> Hey great advice thanks. I was wondering about that Boot cd burn. Now I guess I have to study some since it just Halts. I read some other guy had the same thing happen lol. I know I was reading that you need to reformat and partition a space for FreeBSD. I don't think this does all the reformatting itself. I didn't read that it did. I know most people like me start asking questions before they have read, But I was reading. That ASCII vs Binary I knew nothing about before. Someone did tell methe other day in an email through this. I can't believe the support you all give. This intrigues me. I want to accomplish this soon. Get in the game. I have three pc's since I can build them so I will dedicate at least one to this op. I hope all someday maybe since I have been having programs crash lately on windows 2000. I can't understand it. Fresh reformats too. Not sure if Microsofts upgrades are even causing conflictions.
>
> Anyway if you have one quick answer about that HALT deal where pressing ENTER doesn't start loading anything. In fact I couldn't select anything from that menu. I wonder if that will ever function for me? I hope. I will start reading too step by step also.

First of all, please send your messages to the list and not just to
an individual.   It allows more people - who probably know more than me -
to see, and maybe respond to, your questions.  I may not be around for a
while to see the question of may not know enough about, or be interested
in continuing with, the thread.  Plus it only gets added the archive if
it is posted to the list.  All messages to the list are archived and
become part of the knowledge base for the system.

Secondly, please break your lines at around 70 characters length.
It makes it much easier to read and respond, especially for those
who are using a text based Email reader.  You can either set your
Email client to do this or just hit a RETURN/ENTER at about that
length for each line - just like with the oldfashioned typewriters.

I have no idea what you are talking about with the 'Halt'
You do not give any information about what is happening.
What are you doing when it 'halts'?  Are you attempting to burn
or are you booting or have you already installed and are rebooting???

////jerry

> [...]
> <DIV>Hey great advice thanks. I was wondering about that Boot cd burn. Now I guess I have to study some since it just Halts. I read some other guy had the same thing happen lol. I know I was reading that you need to reformat and partition a space for FreeBSD. I don't think this does all the reformatting itself. I didn't read that it did. I know most people like me start asking questions before they have read, But I was reading. That ASCII vs Binary I knew nothing about before. Someone did tell methe other day in an email through this. I can't believe the support you all give. This intrigues me. I want to accomplish this soon. Get in the game. I have three pc's since I can build them so I will dedicate at least one to this op. I hope all someday maybe since I have been having programs crash lately on windows 2000. I can't understand it. Fresh reformats too. Not sure if Microsofts upgrades are even causing conflictions.</DIV>
> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
> <DIV>Anyway if you have one quick answer about that HALT deal where pressing ENTER doesn't start loading anything. In fact I couldn't select anything from that menu. I wonder if that will ever function for me? I hope. I will start reading too step by step also.</DIV>
> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
> <DIV>Thanks a lot,</DIV>
> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
> <DIV>Sincerely,</DIV>
> <DIV>Jerry Schromm</DIV>
> <DIV>Corning, CA</DIV>
> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
> <DIV><BR><B><I>Jerry McAllister &lt;jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu&gt;</I></B> wrote:</DIV>
> <BLOCKQUOTE class=replbq style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid">&gt; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Hi everyone, I am not sure how this works or if I will ever get feedback. Anyway I just discovered FreeBSD yesterday. I read all about it and I am excited to intrigue myself with this new pc adventure. Sounds great and I will learn something about code at the same time. I feel it had a kind of old school feeling to it, at the same time cutting edge technology. I am a believer in it's viability over Microsofts Windows. They love to hide information from us not inform us.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; The reason I am writing. I downloaded the 5.2.1 IS0's. I burned the boot disk successfully it seems. But I tried to burn the first big ISO file and it failed to burn. Some type of burn error following the track or something. Then I tried that other download that isn't the ISO but the regular files. That wouldn't do anything either. It burned but I can't instal it. That!
  doesn't
>  boot. Or install in anyway. <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; I am wondering if FreeBSD is actually free or is this a way to get us to order the retail box lol. I don't want to feel that way. Yestersay I was so excited about this. I hope you can enlighten me some.<BR><BR>Yup it is free. No scam.<BR><BR>Probably you did something wrong. I am not familiar with all the<BR>various CD burner software packages, but I have notice two problems<BR>show up the most often.<BR><BR>The first is downloading the ISO image in ASCI mode. This produces<BR>a corrupt image that won't work. Make sure you specify binary mode<BR>when you do the ftp. With command line FTPs, it is just a matter<BR>of typing binary when you are in the ftp session.<BR><BR>The other most popular problem is trying to create a bootable ISO from <BR>the image. It is already a bootable ISO image and needs to be burned<BR>straight to the CD without the utility trying to make an ISO or add any<BR>boot blocks or whatever with it. Just bur!
 n the