Need a network file system with Windows client and freeBSD server

Artem Koutchine matrix at itlegion.ru
Wed Jul 14 07:48:44 PDT 2004

Hi!

I need sime kind of network file system which has a FreeBSD server and
Windows clients (particulary Windows XP) and that FreeBSD file share
must be mounted on Windows XP under a drive letter. Windows client
is FAR FAR away and is behind nat. Traffic costs a lot, so that file system
must not waste it for nothing. Of course, security is very important and
security based on IP address is impossible, because client is behind nat.

I have checked the following:

1) Samba3

I think i could use it with user security (not share or maybe mixed) but
i am not sure about making it open to internet and also i think it wastes
bandwidth. Am i wrong?

2) Coda FS

Nice thing, but i could not figure out how to manage user passwords
and there is no working windows xp client. I tried it - not luck for me.

3) AFS

No idea is AFS Windows client exists and no FreeBSD server.

4) NFS

Well, i like it very much because we use for freebsd file shareing since
year 2000. Hoever, i could not find free NFS client for Windows (but, hell,
i'll buy it) but what's worse i get figure out how to make authorizartion based on
user/password and not on /etc/exports. I need something more secure. Also,
am not sure about bandwidth usage.

Any help will be very appriciated.

Regards,
Artem Kuchin