How to drop a packet

Tom Parquette tparquet at twcny.rr.com
Tue Jul 13 08:08:51 PDT 2004

Matin Tamizi wrote:
> I'm using a FreeBSD box as a router in a test network.  For the tests that I am running, I need to be able to drop random packets and observe the effects (responsiveness).
>
> What utilities in FreeBSD or C will allow me to perform the function of dropping a random packet?
>
> Thank you,
> Matin

I've never used it but you might want to look at DUMMYNET.  From the man
page (man dummynet):

DUMMYNET(4)            FreeBSD Kernel Interfaces Manual

NAME
      dummynet -- traffic shaper, bandwidth manager and delay emulator

DESCRIPTION
      The dummynet system facility permits the control of traffic going
through
      the various network interfaces, by applying bandwidth and queue
size lim-
      itations, implementing different scheduling and queue management poli-
      cies, and emulating delays and losses.