Can Portupgrade provide a list of files to download?

epilogue epilogue at allstream.net
Mon Jul 12 19:51:04 PDT 2004

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 11:07:57 +1000
Ron Joordens <ron.joordens at indec.com.au> wrote:

> Morning Everyone,
>
> Having only a dial-up connection at home, I try to download most of the
> large files I need for FreeBSD at work. To date I have to sit down in
> front of the pc, run portupgrade with the fetch only option and then note
> down the url's and file names of the needed files. Of course when a large
> file comes along (anything over 3 to 4 meg), after I note the details I
> press ctrl c to interupt and move to the next file. Problem is this skips
> files. So the next day, after I have fetched the files I noted at work
> and placed them in distfiles, I run portupgrade again to discover I still
> need a whole stack of files and the next day again, and the next day
> again, etc. It takes a few days to fetch all files and is extremly
> tedious.
>
> I was playing with Gentoo the other day and discovered that it has a
> pretend option that prints out all the files needed and their urls
> (several for each file). What a time saver!
>
> I tried portupgrade with the -n pretend option to see how it worked.
> However, it does not give url's and it seems to lists the version of the
> port it is upgrading from rather than the version it is upgrading to.
>
> Does anyone know if portupgrade provides such functionality?

gauging by the man page, i would say no.

i have noticed that there is often more than one url for a given port.  you
could manually assemble a list of the files you will need (including
dependencies) by checking the Makefile for each port or using a web-based
resource like freebsd.org/ports or freshports.org.

you will also want to know what packages you already have installed
(pkg_info).