I downloaded everything to no avail! ISO's fail to burn

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Mon Jul 12 15:44:27 PDT 2004

For future reference, this page has important information on how to ask
questions:
http://www.lemis.com/questions.html

Jerry Schromm <schromms at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone, I am not sure how this works or if I will ever get feedback.
> Anyway I just discovered FreeBSD yesterday. I read all about it and I am
> excited to intrigue myself with this new pc adventure. Sounds great and I
> will learn something about code at the same time. I feel it had a kind of
> old school feeling to it, at the same time cutting edge technology. I am a
> believer in it's viability over Microsofts Windows. They love to hide
> information from us not inform us.
>
> The reason I am writing. I downloaded the 5.2.1 IS0's. I burned the boot
> disk successfully it seems. But I tried to burn the first big ISO file and
> it failed to burn. Some type of burn error following the track or something.

This is almost definatly a problem with your burning software.  Even a
corrupted ISO will burn successfully, although you won't be able to use
the CD.

> Then I tried that other download that isn't the ISO but the regular files.
> That wouldn't do anything either. It burned but I can't instal it. That
> doesn't boot. Or install in anyway.

You need to provide more information on exactly what you did and the exact
result (including cut/paste any error messages) ... with the information
you've provided, we're left trying to guess what you did wrong, and I've
got so many potential guesses that I'm not going to list them all.

> I am wondering if FreeBSD is actually free or is this a way to get us to
> order the retail box lol. I don't want to feel that way. Yestersay I was so
> excited about this. I hope you can enlighten me some.

No, it's really free.  I've been downloading both ISOs and floppy images and
installing from them for 6 years now.

Provide some details on what you did and what happened, and I'm sure we'll
be able to help.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies