Rebuilding wtmp

Kyle Mott kyle at klmhosting.net
Mon Jul 12 13:45:34 PDT 2004

Hi, I have several systems that report 'w' and 'who' wrong/corrupted:
root at neo:~# w
USER             TTY      FROM              LOGIN@  IDLE WHAT
kyle             p0       -                31Dec69     - w

Obviously, Dec 31st 1969 is not right:
root at neo:~# date
Mon Jul 12 11:27:15 PDT 2004

I read a few manpages and did some google'ing, and couldn't find much of
anything about rebuilding wtmp. I tried just moving wtmp to wtmp.old and
then doing 'touch wtmp', then logging out and back in, but it still
reads 31Dec69. Is there some way to fix this? Thanks all.

(Note: Please CC me in any replies, I'm not a member of -questions).

-Kyle Mott