X servers

Geert Hendrickx geert.hendrickx at ua.ac.be
Sun Jul 11 10:55:28 PDT 2004

On Fri, Jul 09, 2004 at 01:24:16PM -0500, Kirk Strauser wrote:
> On Friday 2004-07-09 01:45 am, Geert Hendrickx wrote:
>
> > Anyway, I would very much like to see FreeBSD supporting both of them
> > (AFAIK, they would be the only one who do).
>
> Out of curiosity, why would you like to see them continue to support
> XFree86?

Why not?  At the moment, differences between the two are small, but in
the future they probably will both have interesting new features.  The
Ports also offer multiple shells, multiple window managers, ... so why
not multiple X-servers?

> It seems that most (all?) new development is moving toward X.org
> and the XFree86 seems slated for stagnation and obsolescence.  Political
> issues aside, I think that X.org is where all of the action is.

I don't see why.  XFree86 has been offering us the best free X-server
for years.  It always worked fine for me.

And why would BSD care about a GPL-incompatible licese?

GH