Newbieish Desktop Questions

Danny MacMillan flowers at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Jul 10 22:22:31 PDT 2004

On Sat, Jul 10, 2004 at 08:02:22AM -0600, Kristian Holdich wrote:

> There's one glaring problem with that, if for some reason you need to go
> into single user mode under FreeBSD's default slicing scheme root wont
> have a shell as /usr isn't mounted. It's always good practice to keep
> the shell root uses in /sbin or /bin.

If your concern is that you won't be able to log in to single-user mode,
consider that you will be prompted for a shell in any case (at least I
am).  If your concern is that you would like to have bash available in
single user mode as well, make sure it is statically linked.  If you will
be installing from ports, the following should work (if I'm reading the
Makefile correctly):

cd /usr/ports/shells/bash2
make -DWANT_STATIC_BASH install clean

--