How Critical Is It To Use an ISP Running FreeBSD or BSD/OS?

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Sat Jul 10 16:20:33 PDT 2004

Bob Perry <rperry4 at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Hello,
> I remember reading in The Complete FreeBSD, by Greg Lehey, that you'll
> be better off with an ISP that runs FreeBSD or BSD/OS.  Can anyone
> provide a scenario(s) where this would be most apparent?

If you have problems and call their tech support.

A number of ISPs in the past, when I've had problems and called, they
say, "do this with Windows" and when I say I'm not using Windows they
reply that they don't support anything but, and therefore can't help
me.  That's been in spite of the fact that I've done everything reasonable
to determine that the problem is _NOT_ on my end, they simply refuse to
do _any_ diagnostic work if I wasn't using Windows.

The situation seems to be getting better, and nowadays, I just lie and
say I'm using Windows and execute the equivalent commands in FreeBSD and
explain the result.

> I don't know what OS my ISP uses but I do know that they only support
> Windows and Mac platforms.  I've run OS/2 and FreeBSD using their
> email services and never really needed technical support.

As long as you never need tech support, you'll probably never have a
problem, nor care what OS your ISP uses.  After all, the Internet was
designed to be OS-independent ... when everything is working correctly!

> Now, I'm considering a new ISP primarily due to cost.   Also,
> considering obtaining my own domain name and exploring web hosting.
>
> I assume that recommending an ISP is inappropriate but if you know of
> any forums that have discussed ISPs for FreeBSD, feel free to recommend
> them.

I don't think it's inappropriate.

I don't know of any nationwide ISPs that support/use FreeBSD, but if you're
in the Pittsburgh, PA area, city-net is FreeBSD friendly.  Otherwise, you
could give your location and if someone knows a FreeBSD friendly ISP in
your area, I'm sure he'll let you know.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies