PF and ADSL

DrVince drvince at anonymnet.net
Sat Jul 10 12:50:23 PDT 2004

Hi everyone

I'm running an Alcatel Speedtouch 510v4 which deals with PPPoE on it's own and
gives DHCP for the internal network... what a charm.  My link is 3008kb
download and 800kb upload.

I installed Packet Filter in my box mainly to give a performance boost by
putting a big priority on ACKs.  Based on Shamim Mohamed's pf.conf for ADSL,
http://www.drones.com/obsd-fw.html I have this:

altq on $external priq bandwidth 790kb queue { highpri_q, default_q }
queue highpri_q priority 7
queue default_q priority 1 priq(default)

pass in quick on $external inet proto tcp from any to any port $services \
     flags S/SA keep state queue (default_q, highpri_q)
pass out quick on $external inet proto tcp from any to any \
     flags S/SA keep state queue (default_q, highpri_q)
pass out quick on $external inet proto udp  all keep state
pass out quick on $external inet proto icmp from any to any keep state

I'm wondering, is the bandwidth for upload or download?  If it's set, as-is,
for upload (790kb) wouldn't that also limit the download as so?  If it's set
for download (3000kb) wouldn't that be useless for prioritisation of the
upload?

Vincent Rodrigue