Corrupt list archives?

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Fri Jul 9 09:40:50 PDT 2004

On Fri, Jul 09, 2004 at 05:28:39PM +0100, John Murphy wrote:
> Dan Nelson <dnelson at allantgroup.com> wrote:
>
> >In the last episode (Jul 09), John Murphy said:
> >> While browsing the freebsd-questions archives at freebsd.org and via
> >> google, I noticed that corruption occurs, under some circumstances,
> >> where "=" becomes "=3D" (3D is ascii for =) and some spaces are shown
> >> as "=20".
> >
> >Sounds like quoted-printable MIME encoding.
> >
> >> The first instances of the problem (found via google groups) occurred
> >> ~1994! The first archived in this list ~Feb. 2000.
> >>
> >> The same corruption can be seen in the mailing.freebsd.questions
> >> newsgroup so it's not an http/html problem.
> >
> >Do you have a message-id of a message showing this?
>
> This URL: <http://docs.FreeBSD.org/cgi/mid.cgi?dtfte05p8b3djcvtbp9o24fqpopbiakosj>
> shows the mess made of my original post.

The archive shows your post exactly as it was sent.  Your mails are
encoded with quoted-printable, which does encode some characters as you
indicate.  The archive is not corrupted since it displays the mails
exactly as they were received.
It would be desirable to have the mails in the archive converted from
quoted-printable into standard 8-bit clean format, but no corruption
happens.

> I don't think my messages were affected before I started using sendmail locally.

Your mails might have been encoded differently before. Some mail
gateaways convert mails from one encoding to another before passing
them along - either adding or stripping quoted-printable encoding.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson
ertr1013 at student.uu.se