Sendmail installation

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Fri Jul 9 09:37:26 PDT 2004

fmodola at no-log.org wrote:
> I thought Sendmail was a very insecure mailing system, nevertheless, it's
> fully integrated to the FreeBSD system in the basic installation ...
>
> Why ?

Most flavors of Unix have sendmail integrated since day one for historical
reasons.

> Why not Postfix, Qmail, Exim ???

You're welcome to use any of the above, too.

> Isn't it possible to let us choose during the installation process ???

Sort of.  The postfix, qmail, and other MTA ports will mostly replace
sendmail, see the docs from "man mailer.conf".  You can also build your own
FreeBSD release with NO_SENDMAIL defined in /etc/make.conf...

--
-Chuck