Corrupt list archives?

John Murphy spam-trap at freeode.co.uk
Fri Jul 9 09:16:43 PDT 2004

While browsing the freebsd-questions archives at freebsd.org
and via google, I noticed that corruption occurs, under some
circumstances, where "=" becomes "=3D" (3D is ascii for =)
and some spaces are shown as "=20".

Eg. A familiar line from /etc/rc.conf misleadingly becomes:
firewall_enable=3D"YES"

This obviously isn't a FreeBSD problem (except that affected
messages in the archives are wrong) but I wondered if anyone
here has any idea why it's happening, and whether anything
can be done to fix the problem and correct the archives.

s/=3D/=/g ?

The first instances of the problem (found via google groups)
occurred ~1994! The first archived in this list ~Feb. 2000.

The same corruption can be seen in the mailing.freebsd.questions
newsgroup so it's not an http/html problem.

--
John.