IPFIREWALL_FORWARD sysctl variable

Steve Bertrand iaccounts at ibctech.ca
Fri Jul 9 09:00:47 PDT 2004

> | Before I install a new kernel and have to reboot a machine, I thought
> I'd
> | ask if there was a sysctl variable that can toggle the IPFIREWAL_FORWARD
> | option.
> |

> There's net.inet.ip.forwarding but i'm not sure if it's read only or even
> perhaps if it exists/works without that in the kernel.

I believe that net.inet.ip.forwarding is equivilant to gateway_enable in
rc.conf (enable the box as a router). I have no idea if the fwd is part of
that feature or not.

I can see IPFW picking up the fwd rule, but the box that it is forwarding
to does not see the traffic.

BTW, I am trying to forward proxy traffic from one box to another box (on
a remote network) just as a test. I'll eventually implement the theory in
a transparent proxy setup.

I'm just going to install the kernel and see what happens.

Tks for the info.

Steve