reboot but doesnt ?

J.D. Bronson jbronson at wixb.com
Fri Jul 9 06:19:32 PDT 2004

I am running 5.2.1 on a compaq Deskpro EN SFF P3-500 machine (IDE)
and all is well but when I console into it (or telnet) and give the command
"reboot":

05:46:39 corona login: ROOT LOGIN (root) ON ttyv0
05:46:42 corona reboot: rebooted by root

the console shows the system shutting down and then word REBOOTING.
The console goes dark and then the machine sits and hangs. No output
on the console and nothing happens. I cannot even shut the machine off by
holding the power button in! - I have to unplug it and then when I replug
it in and fire it up -all is ok.

Could this be the hard drive?? - If I use a different hard drive with
solaris on it, it will reboot just fine on this command. So I am wondering
if its the FreeBSD and/or the drive??

Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks..

--
J.D. Bronson
Aurora Health Care // Information Services // Milwaukee, WI USA