disk space question

Peter N. M. Hansteen peter at bgnett.no
Fri Jul 9 01:19:56 PDT 2004

Andrew Musselman <Andrew at cwu.EDU> writes:

> I would like more space in /usr.  I've installed another drive and set
> it to mount to /mnt.  I would like to make FreeBSD(5.2.1) think that
> /usr also includes this new drive.
>
> Is there a way to do what I want to do?

Yes. You could copy say, the contents of /usr/local to /mnt, then
replace /usr/local with a symlink to /mnt. Not pretty, should be done
from single user mode only and you'd need somewhere else to mount things
temporarily, but it *will*, sort of, do what you want.

A more permanent solution would be something along the lines of
(assuming there's a usable file system at /mnt)

# cd /usr/local
# tar cf - . | (cd /mnt; tar xvf - 2>/var/tmp/mycopyerrors)
check /var/tmp/mycopyerrors for any errors

( if you're not in single user already, go there NOW )

# mv /usr/local /usr/local.old
# mkdir /usr/local

#vi /etc/fstab
edit so your new disk gets mounted as /usr/local, save

# reboot

check that your system works ok, when you're certain everything's ok,

# rm -rf /usr/local.old /var/tmp/mycopyerrors

untested, from memory, adjust as needed, and if it kills your puppy, I
will *not* revive it.

- P
http://www.blug.linux.no/rfc1149/	http://www.datadok.no/