Network configuration in FreeBSD

Steve Bertrand iaccounts at ibctech.ca
Thu Jul 8 07:42:36 PDT 2004

>> Am new to FreeBSD... just installed it for 2nd time today, but don't
>> know what
>> I did that it didn't ask me for the network configuration (ip, domain,
>> etc)... once installed, is there a command to perform that task?
>>
>> I'm linux user, so am familiar to *nix systems, but don't know how to
>> configure the network specifically on freebsd...

I certainly agree with the suggestions to RTFM (Handbook), as well as
sysinstall, but just for the record, the following is how you can do it
from the command line. Let's assume that your network adapter is using the
device name vr0 (you can look this up using the # ifconfig command), your
IP address will be 192.168.0.10, your subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 your
hostname is mybox.example.com, your DNS servers are 10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.2
and finally, your default gateway is 192.168.0.1:

First, edit /etc/rc.conf and add the following lines (include the quotes):

ifconfig_vr0="inet 192.168.0.10 netmask 255.255.255.0"
defaultrouter="192.168.0.1"
hostname="mybox.example.com"

Next, edit /etc/resolv.conf and add these lines:

search example.com
nameserver 10.0.0.1
nameserver 10.0.0.2

Now, to enable things as to not have to reboot, run the following commands:

# ifconfig vr0 192.168.0.10/24
# route add default 192.168.0.1

Unless you have a firewall, you should now be able to connect to other hosts.

Regards,

Steve