commercial X server?

Karel J. Bosschaart karelj at kayjay.xs4all.nl
Thu Jul 8 05:25:52 PDT 2004

On Fri, Jun 25, 2004 at 08:35:45AM -0500, Kirk Strauser wrote:
> On Friday 2004-06-25 04:54 am, Karel J. Bosschaart wrote:
>
> > In the first place stability, and as a bonus maybe some speed-up. I'm
> > currently using the XFree86-4 port, and X screws up so often (daily) and
> > badly (no console, ctrl-alt-backspace useless) that I'd like to try
> > alternatives.
>
> From http://freedesktop.org/~xorg/X11R6.7.0/doc/RELNOTES3.html#8 :
>
>     3.3. Video Driver Enhancements
>
>     Several stability issues with the support for the Intel 830M, 845G,
>     852GM, 855GM and 865G integrated graphics chipsets have been fixed.
>
> This might be an excellent time to upgrade to the X.org distribution.

Thanks for the tip, I wasn't aware that the Xorg version in ports was
already ahead of the XFree86 port. I lurked a bit on the lists for tips on
upgrading (enough material to read) and the update a couple of days ago
went smooth. It looks like stability improved but it's difficult to say
at this stage as I also had an X crash with the new X.org distribution
(again while using OpenOffice). But if it crashes only weekly instead of
daily that's of course an improvement.

Karel.