X servers

Geert Hendrickx geert.hendrickx at ua.ac.be
Thu Jul 8 03:09:25 PDT 2004

On Thu, Jul 08, 2004 at 02:01:21AM -0700, Jammet wrote:
> What is the differnce really between x.org and xfree86 and all the
> others? I know there are 3 or 4 differnt servers atleast, what are the
> advantages and disavantages to each and so on?

X.org forked from XFree86 (recently), because XFree86 changed their
license in 4.4.  The differences (now) are very small, but of course
they may diverge more in the future.  FreeBSD, as well as most Linux
distributions, have adopted X.org instead of XFree86 4.4.

I upgraded from XFree86 4.3 to X.org 6.7.0, and I haven't noticed any
difference (yet), except that XF86Config is now xorg.conf :-).  They did
include some new video-drivers though.

I don't know about any other (free) X-servers.

GH