Which branch to use as tag for 5.2.1?

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Wed Jul 7 19:06:03 PDT 2004

On Thu, Jul 08, 2004 at 03:01:11AM +0200, Rickard Borgmäster wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying out FBSD 5.2.1 at the moment to see if it will work OK with my
> onboard VIA 8237 SATA Controller, which didn't work that fine in 4.10.
>
> I'm about to do a buildworld. But I have a little difficult understanding
> what tag to set in my cvsupfile? I want something similar to RELENG_4 but
> for 5.x. Ie, the latest "release" with fixes applied. Which branch is
> that?
>
> Browsing CVSweb I find these:
> * RELENG_5_2_BP
> * RELENG_5_2_1_RELEASE
> * RELENG_5_2_0_RELEASE
> * RELENG_5_2
> * RELENG_5_1_BP
> * RELENG_5_1_0_RELEASE
> * RELENG_5_1
> * RELENG_5_0_BP
> * RELENG_5_0_0_RELEASE
> * RELENG_5_0
>
> I don't want CURRENT, so it has to be one of these, I suppose. But I can't
> find anything on the net that tells me exactly what each branch is.

What you want is RELENG_5, which doesn't exist yet. It will be created
when 5.x is considered to be the new -STABLE.  Until then you can
either follow -CURRENT (which is the "branch" leading up to the next
5.x release just as RELENG_4 is the branch leading up to the next 4.x
release) or RELENG_5_2 (which is 5.2.1-RELEASE + important bugfixes)

As for what the other tags are: RELENG_5_1 and RELENG_5_0 are as
RELENG_5_2 except for 5.1-release and 5.0-release respectively - little
reason to use them.  The RELENG_5_x_BP tags are branches but static
tags marking the place where the RELENG_5_x branch was created from
HEAD.  RELENG_5_x_y_RELEASE marks the code for 5.x.y-release, and also
doesn't change.  There is little reason to use either of those unless
you for some reason want the exact code that went into a relase.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson
ertr1013 at student.uu.se