A few simple questions(...if you don't mind)

Andy Holyer andyh at hhbb.co.uk
Wed Jul 7 13:42:13 PDT 2004

On 6 Jul 2004, at 11:36, Erik Trulsson wrote:

> If you go back a bit further in time there was the Great Worm of 1988,
> which targeted VAX and Sun3 systems running BSD code, and which
> actually did bring down most of the Internet at the time.  That was the
> incident that got people in the Unix community to start thinking
> seriously
> about security.

Then again, I survived that. My Unix box was running Coloured Book, so
the worm didn't see us.

There was one really horrible telnetd exploit which the script kiddies
got hold of which let them in as root. Trashed a server I had at the
time in the midwest. The only way I survived was that they did it on
September 10th 2001, so the client had other things to think about soon
after....

---
Andy Holyer, Technical stuff
Hedgehog Broadband, 11 Marlborough Place Brighton BN1 1UB
08451 260895 x 241