portsclean -DD

Randy Pratt rpratt1950 at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 7 11:25:43 PDT 2004

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 12:25:39 -0500 (CDT)
"Conrad J. Sabatier" <conrads at cox.net> wrote:

> The man page for portsclean is a little vague on the exact semantics of
> using "portsclean -DD".
>
> I understand that -D specified once cleans out any distfiles for ports
> which are not currently installed, but specified twice, does it *only*
> clean out distfiles that are unreferenced by any port in the tree, or
> does it do this in addition to the behavior of the single -D switch?
>
> The reason I ask is that I'd like to share a distfiles directory
> between two machines, and I'd like to be able to simply clean out any
> distfiles that are unreferenced by any port in the tree without
> disturbing the distfiles for any ports that may be installed on either
> box.

Portsclean -DD will clean distfiles for ports which are not
installed _and_ distfiles that are not used by anything in the
ports tree.

You can verify it for yourself with:

	portsclean -nDD

since the with the -n, no files are actually deleted and you can
see what action it would have taken.

HTH,

Randy