Sendmail hand upon boot and restart

Steve Bertrand iaccounts at ibctech.ca
Wed Jul 7 06:32:04 PDT 2004

> After a year I'm finally upgrading DNS servers, and having
> a bad time getting sendmail and dhcp to work.  I may finally
> have dhcp woking on ns1.thought.org.   ping works and my
> /var/log/maillog is filling up.  But on tao.thought.org,
> sendmail refuses to start.  Can anybody help me ith this?

First we need to create a baseline...Do you get any error messages, or
does sendmail just appear to hang? Can you ping from this machine? Do you
have a firewall setup on the box? Do you have 'sendmail_enable="YES"' in
/etc/rc.conf?

Do the following and perhaps post the output so we know what stage in the
game you are at:

# cat /etc/resolv.conf
# dig freebsd.org
# dig @204.101.251.2 freebsd.org

Every time I have had sendmail problems, it has always come back to DNS
failures.

HTH,

Steve