multiple versions of ports installed

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Tue Jul 6 18:57:40 PDT 2004

Rowdy <david at fielden.com.au> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I have multiple versions of a couple of ports installed under FreeBSD
> 5.1-RELEASE, and I'm not sure why, nor whether I can remove any of the
> older versions.
>
> sharwyn:~ # portversion -v | grep "?"
> autoconf-2.57_1             ?  error - origin not found
> libtool-1.4.3_3             ?  error - origin not found
>
> These came to light after a recent pkgdb -F.
>
> sharwyn:~ # pkg_info | grep autoconf
> autoconf-2.13.000227_5 Automatically configure source code on many Un*x
> platforms
> autoconf-2.53_1     Automatically configure source code on many Un*x
> platforms
> autoconf-2.57_1     Automatically configure source code on many Un*x
> platforms
> autoconf-2.59_1     Automatically configure source code on many Un*x
> platforms

autoconf is a program that helps build other programs.  You can almost
definately remove _all_ version using pkg_delete.  If you go to install
another port that requires autoconf, it will just install it as a
dependency.

> sharwyn:~ # pkg_info | grep libtool
> libtool-1.3.5_2     Generic shared library support script (version 1.3)
> libtool-1.4.3_3     Generic shared library support script (version 1.4)
> libtool-1.5.6_1     Generic shared library support script (version 1.5)

Here you may actually need all three versions.  Notice that it's 1.3, 1.4,
and 1.5 that are installed.  Each of these is going to have a slightly
different featureset, and (in my experience) different versions of libtool
are not compatable.

If you try pkg_delete on each of these, you will get an error stating which
package requires it.  This will give you an idea of what you need to do to
get rid of older versions (probably upgrade the software requiring it).

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies