FreeBSD and DVI LCD monitors

Lucas Holt luke at foolishgames.com
Tue Jul 6 15:01:25 PDT 2004

Did the monitor come with a manual?  Does it have the specifications of
the required resolution/refresh rate?

If it works in X11 on slackware then it must be an X11 config issue.
Can you look at the X11 config in slackware to see what it is?

If you can't get the info from a manual or the vendors website, try
contacting the vendor that sold it to you.  I know best buy carries
that brand.

On Jul 4, 2004, at 3:14 AM, 3BSD wrote:

> I have been trying for several days to get XFree86 going with my LCD
> monitor, but to no luck.
> Hardware:
> GeForce FX 5200
> BenQ FP991 19" LCD monitor with DVI-S and HD-15 connectors.
>
> I shelled out a little extra for this monitor *specifically* for its
> DVI port, but it just simply won't work with FreeBSD. Slackware Linux
> 10 runs fine on the monitor on the same computer using X.Org server.
>
>  I read on google search results that DVI monitors need a Refresh rate
> of 60Hz. At first I did not know which one were they talking about,
> which happened to by Vertical Sync, so I set that to 60 and did a
> startx, nothing.
>
> Monitor displays a "no input signal" messages and the light blinks.
> Then I installed nvidia drivers and tried, it got worse, I could not
> get my console back, while the system had not crashed, the display
> just would not come back, so I had to do a blind reboot.
>
> I then read somewhere that with some monitors, there is a problem with
> DDC, they lie about their digital sync rates suitable for display on
> the DVI port and report the analog port settings instead. I found out
> that I had to add:
>
> Option       "NoDDC"       "1"     (or "true")
>
> to XFree86. I added the line, typed startx and was dissapointed yet
> again. Same "no input signal" message on the monitor again.
>
> I figured that if X.org server worked under Linux, then it should work
> with FreeBSD without problems, but I can't even try that since X.org
> port will refuse to install (already sent an e-mail in that regard to
> this group).
>
> Can anyone show me a way out of this mess? Should I try an ATi
> graphics card? Is there some configuration blunder that I'm making?
>
> -Assad

Lucas Holt
Luke at FoolishGames.com