vmware vs jails? (5.2.1)

Dick Davies rasputnik at hellooperator.net
Tue Jul 6 09:10:04 PDT 2004

* Hugo Silva <klr at 6s-gaming.com> [0731 16:31]:
> Hi list,
>
> I have been considering using vmware instead of bsd jails for a virtual
> server provider. Jails are far too limited (1 ip only, quotas = per-jail
> fs,etc). I have never tried vmware with freebsd as a guest os, so I don't
> know if these limitations would apply..
>
> What are your personal experiences ? Does vmware work flawlessly with
> freebsd as a guest OS ? (host will be freebsd 5.2.1) Should I stick to
> jails instead? Any suggestions welcome!

I've used it on NetBSD and its pretty good, but very slow.
Crashed a lot too. But it was running windows. well, kazaa.

Have you thought of Xen?

(no url, google it, I'm not your mum :} )

--
A consultant is a person who borrows your watch, tells you what time it
is, pockets the watch, and sends you a bill for it.