A few simple questions(...if you don't mind)

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Tue Jul 6 02:44:09 PDT 2004

On Tue, Jul 06, 2004 at 12:08:17AM +0300, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:

> Remember, this is not Windows, where everything is free and you have to
> share your personal data with the world :P

ITYM "nothing is free, except other people's access to your data."

> In short, I've heard of no viruses that affect BSDs during the last 7-8
> years that I'm using a BSD Unix at home and work.

The only malware that ever achieved any sort of world prominence was
the Scalper worm, which exploited the "chunked transfer encoding"
vulnerability in versions of Apache earlier than 1.3.24 or 2.0.36 on
i386 FreeBSD:

    http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE+CAN-2002-0392

    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/freebsd.scalper.worm.html

As I remember there were only a few hundred infections, and an Apache
patch was available within hours.  Hardly the sort of Internet
destroying scale we've become accustomed to with all those Windows
worms recently.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way