USB Question/Concern

Mark Turpin mrreflow at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 5 14:29:29 PDT 2004

Hello All,

I've been using FreeBSD at work to develop some USB hardware.  I'm using
FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE on a 550MHz PIII with a UHCI USB controller.  While I
was in the lab a couple of weeks ago I was getting slow performance with
FreeBSD.  I tried changing many things in my device's firmware to see if I
could fix it. None of them did.  (The same device works fine on Win2K, BTW)

You can check www.blindbox.com/usb/usbcomp.html for a bit more detailed
description.

It seems to me that the FreeBSD driver "skips" a USB frame every so often.
I wanted to check with someone to see if this was a common problem.   The
FAQ said if in doubt where to ask, ask on freebsd-questions.   So,  Does the
FreeBSD UHCI driver suffer from slow performance for anyone else?  or has
this been fixed since 5.1-RELEASE?

Thanks,

Mark Turpin (mturpin at mainstreettech dot com)