A few simple questions(...if you don't mind)

Phil Schulz ph.schulz at gmx.de
Mon Jul 5 11:01:45 PDT 2004

Mark Jayson Alvarez wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Questions:
> 1. What is the command for ejecting the cdrom?

I don't think there is such a command. I'm not 100% sure though.

> 2. Do you know if viruses exist in freebsd, like in
> Windows?

I believe there used to be some viri for Unix-like OSs, but they are all
pretty much harmless since they aren't usually found 'in the wild'.
A quick search on www.viruslibrary.com gave me one match [1] - maybe
someone else can comment that.

> 3. When I issued a netstat command, and i see
> something like 192.135.15... connected to
> 192.262.33..., what is the command for terminating
> such connections?

I don't know.

> 4. When I issued a "alias ls ls -FGh" how can I make
> this alias for 'ls' permanent? And where are the
> individual manpages for those built-in commands
> located?

Check your shell's man page. Given that you are using csh(1) (which is
root's default shell on FreeBSD) you should add such an entry in ~/.cshrc

> 5. Does any version of freebsd supports mounting,
> reading, and writing of ext3fs partitions of linux?

No.

> 6. Can freebsd turn off my monitor or any other
> peripherals of my pc in a given idle time, like the
> "stand by" in Windows? How?(just the link)

It definitely works w/ my TFT Screen.
Depending on your BIOS and how well it is supported, you might be able
to use ACPI for power-saving purposes on FreeBSD 5.x

> 7. What is the correct way of rebuilding my ports? In
> freebsd sources, I do a make buildworld and then make
> installworld. How do I do it in my ports collection?
> (e.g; make buildports, make installports??? :-)

Install /usr/ports/sysutils/portupgrade and read portupgrade(1)'s man
page. You might also find some other resources on the internet. Use your
favourite search engine :-)

Regards,

Phil.

--