IPF problems

Gene Bomgardner glbjr_01 at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 5 06:12:03 PDT 2004

HI

I've recompiled 5.2.1 kernel to include firewall options for natd. I've
discovered that once I did so,
I can no longer communicate in or out of the fbsd box.
The firewall defaults to accept_all (I checked this)

Then I found that if I disable ipf (i.e. 'ipf -D") I can now communicate.
>From /etc/rc.conf and /etc/defaults/rc.conf :

ipfilter_enable="NO"            # Set to YES to enable ipfilter
functionality
ipfilter_program="/sbin/ipf"    # where the ipfilter program lives
ipfilter_rules="/etc/ipf.rules" # rules definition file for ipfilter, see
                                # /usr/src/contrib/ipfilter/rules for
examples
ipfilter_flags=""               # additional flags for ipfilter

>From /etc/ipf.rules :

pass in all
pass out all

the questions are :

1) If ipfilter_enable is NO, why is it running at all? Is it needed for nat?
2) Even if it is running, why does it not follow its rules and pass all?

Any help appreciated. thanks

Gene