constant tun interface

Jeff Penn jeff+freebsd at jrpenn.demon.co.uk
Sun Jul 4 12:39:40 PDT 2004

Lev Klimin <levanty at mari-el.ru>:
> I have little trouble. I have 4.10-release with ppp ant ipnat. On
> startup ipnat reload it's rules with interface tun0 in statments which
> is ppp's device. But before running ppp, there is no tun device in
> system

pppctl(8) includes some examples of how to achieve this.  You will also
need to configure rc.conf(5) to run the ppp daemon at start up.

The solution is straightforward, I answered a similar question with more
details on the newsgroup comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc.

> Because of lack of tun interface, further ipnat rules don't work. I
> can reload ipnat then ppp starting, and it's OK. Can I build my
> kernel to make tun interface on startup sach as ppp interface? I build
> my kernel with option
> pseudo-device   tun        1             #Tunnel driver (ppp(8),
nos-tun(8))
> but after reboot I don't see tun interface in ifconfig output.

Building tun0 into the kernel will have no effect.  I prefer to use the
module that is automatically loaded.

jeff