CVSUP Mirror

Tom Parquette tparquet at twcny.rr.com
Sat Jul 3 11:46:00 PDT 2004

Lonnie Santella wrote:
> FreBSD 4.10 Release
> CVSUP-MIRROR v. 1.3_2  freshly installed.
>
> I got the cvsup-mirror port installed without any errors. The CVSUPD
> daemon is running. I can connect to my mirror from another server. When
> I try to update a ports collection (i.e. ports-editors) is will spit out
> the error:
>
> "Collection "ports-editors" release "cvs" is not available here"
>
> I did not specifiy any of the default collections during the install
> (i.e. src, www, gnats) because all I want to make available via cvsupd
> is the ports collections. However, since the install never asked me
> anything about ports, I'm hesitant that I have not properly made them
> available via cvsup.
>
> I've been throught the FreeBSD Handbook, and the "cvsup.org" website -
> absolutely no help at all. I've also searched through the
> /usr/ports/net/cvsup-mirror directory just to find absolutely no
> documentation whatsoever.
>
> All I want to do is run a mirror so I can keep the ports trees on my
> other BSD servers up-to-date.
>
> Can you please help me?
>
> -just a little frustrated

Lonnie,
I didn't see any cvsup files so let me see what I can do by working
backwards with you...

I have cvsup-mirror running on one of my machines mirroring the entire
cvsup collection.

Normally I update the entire ports tree but I tried to update just
ports-editors.  It appeared to work.  This is the cvsupfile I ran:
*default  host=192.168.0.20
*default  base=/usr
*default  prefix=/usr
*default  release=cvs
*default  tag=.
*default  delete use-rel-suffix
ports-editors

I did not get the error message you mentioned until I changed the
collection name to something bogus.  e.g. I changed ports-editors to
ports-editors-junk.

This makes me think you are not mirroring, or not mirroring correctly,
the ports tree.

The supfile that goes with my cvsup-mirror looks like this:
$ more /usr/local/etc/cvsup/supfile
#
# Standard supfile for CVSup FreeBSD mirrors.
#
*default delete use-rel-suffix umask=002
cvs-all      release=cvs     prefix=prefixes/FreeBSD.cvs
gnats        release=current prefix=prefixes/FreeBSD-gnats.current
www          release=current prefix=prefixes/FreeBSD-www.current
mail-archive release=current prefix=prefixes/FreeBSD-mail.current
distrib      release=self    prefix=prefixes/distrib.self
$

I weould check to see what you have in the spot where I have cvs-all.

There is a discussion in section A.5.5 of the FBSD Handbook that talks
about the various file collections.  It is at:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvsup.html
You should note the warning about the need to ALWAYS update ports-base.
  Even if you are not updating the whole ports tree.

Cheers...