Adding FBSD to existing GRUB

Andrew L. Gould algould at datawok.com
Sat Jul 3 09:14:01 PDT 2004

On Saturday 03 July 2004 11:01 am, Trey Sizemore wrote:
> I have a multiboot machine with Linux and FBSD currently set up as
> follows:
>
> /dev/hda1 5GB Linux SUSE root partition from 0 -652
> /dev/hda2 40.5GB Extended partition from 653 - 5945
> /dev/hda3 19.5GB FreeBSD partition from 5946 -8494
> /dev/hda5 5GB /usr partition for SUSE from 653 - 1305
> /dev/hda6 15GB /home partition for SUSE from 1306 - 3264
> /dev/hda7 1 GB swap from 3265 - 3395
> /dev/hda8 19.5GB linux partition for Libranet from 3396 - 5945
>
> I tried adding the following to my /etc/fstab, but it would not boot
> (saying unsupported file type):
>
> title FreeBSD 5.2.1
>     root (hd0,2,a)
>     kernel /boot/loader
>
> Is the above misentered or is there something else to consider?
>
> Thanks.

You are confusing the file used to mount partitions with the booting
process.  /etc/fstab is used to mount partitions after the system has
started booting the operating system in which it exists.

Check the grub documentation for the proper location of booting options.
Also, see if the following helps any:

http://geodsoft.com/howto/dualboot/grub.htm

Best of luck,

Andrew Gould