make buildworld: build changes only?

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Fri Jul 2 16:11:47 PDT 2004

On Fri, Jul 02, 2004 at 12:54:53AM +0200, Geert Hendrickx wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm keeping track of -STABLE on semi-regular basis.  But when I cvsup to
> the latest sources and do make buildworld, it always starts to rebuild
> the world entirely from scratch.  That's somewhat frustrating,
> especially if cvsup showed only a screenful of changes.
>
> Is it possible to rebuild these changes only?  I know I could cd to the
> directory of each changed file and do a make install there, but that is
> of course not quite practical.  I suppose this could be automated, since
> this was exactly the design principle of make: rebuild changed sources
> only.
>
> I know this might brake some dependencies in some cases, but I expect
> this to be rare.  I could still do a "full" buildworld when necessary.
>
> Any suggestions?

The only safe way to rebuild is with the full documented cycle that
includes a buildworld.  "Unsafe" means "may leave you with an unusable
system".  If you want to play around with other make targets you can
indeed short-cut the build process a lot of the time, but you're
expected to be advanced enough to recover your system on your own when
you damage something, and that pretty much means being able to figure
out how to use the make shortcuts on your own :-)

Kris