cvsupdate and make totally hoses the system

David Bear David.Bear at asu.edu
Fri Jul 2 15:30:29 PDT 2004

I've done this twice now.. I install a clean 4.10-Release from ftp.
I install cvsupdate without gui.  I create my cvsupdate file in etc
and run cvsupdate.

then per instructions from the website
# make buildworld
# make buildkernel
# make installkernel
# reboot

You should boot in single user mode (using boot -s from loader prompt
for example). Then run:

# mergemaster -p
# make installworld

======
I cvsup to releng_4_10.

the first hiccup comes with mergemaster as there are new accounts
created for pf.  thats fine. I just merge the new accounts.

the second hiccup comes with the first invocation of make
installworld. It dies telling me there is no hints file. So I copy
GENERIC.hints to /boot and rerun. Then after a lot of work, make
installworld dies with a core dump. And, now I have a completely
unusable system.  Everything is does with the same error -- my binary
and kernel and libs our completely out of sync.

I made two changes to make.conf (set usa resident, set noprofile).
my cvsufile is below.

where am I going wrong?

-------------------
*default  host=cvsup10.FreeBSD.org
*default  base=/usr/local/etc/cvsup
*default  prefix=/usr
*default  release=cvs delete use-rel-suffix
*default  tag=RELENG_4_10

*default tag=.
ports-all tag=.
src-all tag=.