Problems with UDMA harddisks

Peter Ulrich Kruppa root at pukruppa.de
Thu Jul 1 23:29:04 PDT 2004

Hi!

I hope somebody on this list has another good idea, I haven't
thought of yet:

I have a machine that came with two Excel Stor 40 GB ("Ganymede")
UDMA/100 harddisks.
To install FreeBSD 4.10 I had to disable UDMA in the BIOS,
otherwise they wouldn't have booted (some complaint about ata0).
Of course I wish to get UDMA working, since this is said to
improve perfomance significantly.
I checked if the UDMA cable is plugged into the correct places
for mainboard, master and slave - this is o.k. .

Are there any other things (bios settings, kernel modules, magic
chants,...) I could try?

Thanks,

Uli.