Gnome installing Mozilla by default

Dan Finn dhrider at gmail.com
Thu Jul 1 10:54:52 PDT 2004

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 12:03:37 -0400, epilogue <epilogue at allstream.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 07:04:47 -0400
> Aaron Walker <ka0ttic at butsugenjitemple.org> wrote:
>
> > Roop Nanuwa wrote:
> >
> > > I'll join in on the praise for Opera. It really is the best web browser
> > > that's extremely light but still has all the "modern day" features
> > > one would expect from a web browser and then some. I will warn you
> > > about a couple of things, though.
> > >
> > > 1] The native FreeBSD version is not going to run Flash. I've pulled
> > > out many, many hairs about this but have never gotten the two to
> > > work together. If you want to view Flash, then install the linux-opera
> > > port.
> > > 2] You'll be spoiled after using Opera for any length of time. I've
> > > been using Opera for a long time and I simply can't tolerate any other
> > > browsers. The feature set it provides is so expansive that other
> > > browsers will seem utterly gutted in comparison. Ever use vi for a
> > > while and then notice that random ':w' or ':wq' start appearing in
> > > places where they shouldn't because you've gotten so used to the
> > > commands? Same idea here. 3] The default interface is not for everyone.
> > > Just realize that the interface is highly configurable so don't let it
> > > turn you off if it's not to your liking.
> > >
> > > --roop
> >
> > Just curious, but which version of flash are you using with Opera?  I
> > did a search of the ports tree and found quite a few flash ports and was
> > confused on which one to install.
> >

> um, this one...
>
> ~> pkg_info | grep -i flash
>
> linux-flashplugin-7.0r25 The official Macromedia Flash Player for Linux
> Mozilla and
>
> hth,
> epi

all this talk of opera got me interested so I thought I would go ahead
and install it.

a "make install" of /usr/ports/www/linux-opera seemed to work fine.  I
get this when I try and run it:

[ dfinn @ stewie : ~] : linux-opera
opera: Could not initialize spell checker interface. File not found or
could not be opened (-7)
Segmentation fault (core dumped)