rdist problem

peterp at surenet.net peterp at surenet.net
Thu Jul 1 10:04:31 PDT 2004

Hi,

I'm trying to rdist some files from a FreeBSD 4.9 machine to a new 5.2.1 p9 server. On the 5.2.1 server I enabled rsh, added the 4.9 server to root's .rhosts file, and kept getting a login denied message. I added the following to the /etc/pam.d/rsh file on the 5.2.1 box:

auth            required        pam_nologin.so          no_warn
account         required        pam_unix.so

I can now rsh from the 4.9 box to the 5.2.1 box, but rdist shows the following:

#rdist
updating host wfv1
rdist: connection failed: version numbers don't match
rdist: got unexpected input:rdist: rrdist: drdist: irdist: srdist: trdist: :rdist:  rdist: Crdist: ordist: mrdist: mrdist: ardist: nrdist: drdist:  rdist: nrdist: ordist: trdist:  rdist: frdist: ordist: urdist: nrdist: drdist: .rdist:
updating host wfv1
rdist: connection failed: version numbers don't match
rdist: got unexpected input:rdist: rrdist: drdist: irdist: srdist: trdist: :rdist:  rdist: Crdist: ordist: mrdist: mrdist: ardist: nrdist: drdist:  rdist: nrdist: ordist: trdist:  rdist: frdist: ordist: urdist: nrdist: drdist: .rdist:
updating host wfv1
rdist: connection failed: version numbers don't match
rdist: got unexpected input:rdist: rrdist: drdist: irdist: srdist: trdist: :rdist:  rdist: Crdist: ordist: mrdist: mrdist: ardist: nrdist: drdist:  rdist: nrdist: ordist: trdist:  rdist: frdist: ordist: urdist: nrdist: drdist: .rdist:

Running rdist -D shows:

updating host wfv1
port = 514, luser = root, ruser = root
buf = rdist -Server
local user = root remote user = root
Remote command = 'rdist -Server'
I am root, therefore direct rcmd
rdist: connection failed: version numbers don't match
rdist: got unexpected input:rdist: rrdist: drdist: irdist: srdist: trdist: :rdist:  rdist: Crdist: ordist: mrdist: mrdist: ardist: nrdist: drdist:  rdist: nrdist: ordist: trdist:  rdist: frdist: ordist: urdist: nrdist: drdist: .rdist:
closeconn()
doarrow(0x805b690, wfv1, 0x805b650)
makeconn(wfv1)

I've spent all morning looking at this and have run out of ideas. As part of the same rdist file, i'm update 3 other 4.10 server and they work fine.  Does anyone have any sugestions? Yes, I know rdist is a little out of date, i've got a bunch of legacy stuff and scripts to convert before I can migrate off of rdist.

Thanks

Peter Parker