[gateway 4.9] sendto: no buffer space available

Jacques Beigbeder Jacques.Beigbeder at ens.fr
Thu Jul 1 01:31:24 PDT 2004

Hello,

Hardware:
	PC, 128 Mo, 2 interfaces 3Com 3c905-TX
Software:
	4.9, generic kernel; from the initial distribution
	no special configuration

Suddenly, this PC acting as a gateway stops forwarding packets,
I was in a hurry so I just noticed that ICMP ping packets failed.
Message on the console:
	ping: sendto: no buffer space available

Question 1: is it supposed to be fixed automatically within
a few minutes? This gateway is important in my network...

Question 2: is there some tuning I can do? Here is some output:
	root# sysctl -a | grep space | grep net
	net.local.stream.sendspace: 8192
	net.local.stream.recvspace: 8192
	net.local.dgram.recvspace: 4096
	net.inet.tcp.sendspace: 32768
	net.inet.tcp.recvspace: 57344
	net.inet.udp.recvspace: 42080
	net.inet.raw.recvspace: 8192

Thanks,

Jacques Beigbeder                    |  Jacques.Beigbeder at ens.fr
Service de Prestations Informatiques |     http://www.spi.ens.fr
Ecole normale supérieure             |
45 rue d'Ulm                         |Tel : (+33 1)1 44 32 37 96
F75230 Paris cedex 05                |Fax : (+33 1)1 44 32 20 75