Cheap ATA-Raid-Controllers

Harald Schmalzbauer h at schmalzbauer.de
Sat Jan 31 17:49:29 PST 2004

Hi all,

I'd especially like Søren to make a advice which ATA-"Raid" Controller on the
low end to choose.
I tried some based on SIL0680 and was dissapointed, same with HPT370(372)
based.
Søren has recommended Promise Controllers (since they support FreeBSD
development) but he didn't make clear what series (S150/TX2000/TX4000/
SX6000).
Of course they are more expensive than a 25$ based SIL680 but if one drive
fails and the machine panics it's worth spending a little more.
On the other hand I can buy a 3ware 4 port parallel controller for about 200$
so in my opinion the promise SX series has no right to exist since 3ware
always has been the straightedge for me.

I really think this is on topic with questions@, chat@ I think wasn't the
right place.

Thanks all,

-Harry