Building a custom release, not working

Luke Johannsen luke at themango.org
Sat Jan 31 14:41:00 PST 2004

On Jan 31, 2004, at 3:06 PM, Chad M Stewart wrote:

> I'm starting down the road of creating a firewall appliance using
> FreeBSD.  An automated, hands off installation is a key component of
> this.
>
> I have to start somewhere and figured I would start with building my
> own "release".  Using that as an exercise to become familiar with how
> the process works and then start to customize the install and
> subsequent image that is put down on the disk.
>

> Thank you,
> Chad

I've never tried what you're doing though I've thought about it many
times so I don't think I'll be much help on the specifics. But during
one of my many times of searching the web for just such a thing I came
across this fellows website and seems to be very well documented and up
to date.
http://neon1.net/misc/minibsd.html

Also this project may be of some interest to you too.
http://m0n0.ch/wall/

Both are intended to be used with this hardware but also can be
customized with any "regular" computer too.
http://www.soekris.com/

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Luke