L2TP server?

luke at themango.org luke at themango.org
Sat Jan 31 10:21:18 PST 2004

> Hi all, I searched the archive and didn't find any relevant information.
> Here is my situation: I have a FreeBSD box running as my gateway/firewall
> at home. I want to set up a VPN connection from my laptop (in office) to
> the router via public Internet. My laptop runs Mac OS X 10.3 and supports
> L2TP over IPSec. So I suppose I need to set up a L2TP server on the box. I
> did a little research and didn't find too much information. I am not very
> familiar with IPSec or L2TP. If anyone could give me some pointers and
> hints, I would appreciate very much
>
> Regards
> Deling

Greetings,

I have always found Dru's articles to be very helpful. Here are a few
about IPSec.
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2002/12/12/FreeBSD_Basics.html
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2002/12/26/FreeBSD_Basics.html
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2003/01/09/FreeBSD_Basics.html

As far as connecting to it from your Mac, considering these show how to
setup IPSec/Raccoon, and I don't believe the programs that come with OSX
don't easily allow the connection. But there is a program by a third party
that allows easy setup of raccoon.
http://www.afp548.com/Software/VaporSec/

Hope this helps, and good luck.

Cheers,