FreeBSD 5.2: How do I automatically restart twm with the Default session?

Anthony Discolo avdiscolo at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 31 09:44:05 PST 2004

Yes, this is the default twm that comes with 5.2.  I was not using a
~/.twmrc or a ~/.xsession.

I figured out that twm dumps core when it is restarted by xsm.  I also
learned that it's xsm that puts up the session dialog, and that "xsm
-session Default" automatically starts the Default session eliminating the
dialog.  After twm dumped core, sometimes the Default session would remain
locked, preventing me from logging in (since xsm couldn't open the Default
session).  Using the Fail Safe session always worked fine, but I hated
having to select it everytime I logged in.

Anyway, I couldn't get xsm to automatically reload my Default session
without having twm dump core, so I stopped using xsm all together.  I simply
have twm started by my ~/.xsession now (along with my favorite x commands)
and things work fine.

If you have any advice on how to get xsm and twm to peacefully coexist, I'd
appreciate it.