tcp blackhole and ident

J.D. Bronson jbronson at lonebandit.com
Sat Jan 31 05:46:41 PST 2004

At 07:39 AM 1/31/2004, Matthew Seaman wrote:
>On Sat, Jan 31, 2004 at 07:32:36AM -0600, J.D. Bronson wrote:
> > I have a question. I setup the following in sysctl.conf:
> >
> > net.inet.tcp.blackhole=2
> > net.inet.udp.blackhole=1
> >
> > ..Well this works, but now I have a new issue.
> > I run sendmail and as such, need to allow TCP 113 into this machine
> > and yet get CONNECTION REFUSED. - I dont want to run IDENT, but
> > need to still get the CONNECTION REFUSED...
>
>Run ipfw(8) or a similar firewall and set up a rule that sends an ICMP
>reject whenever it detects an incoming connection on port 113 as part
>of your firewall configuration.  Eg. something like:
>
>     01600 reset tcp from any to me dst-port 113 setup
>
>         Cheers,
>
>         Matthew

Thanks...but I have quite a robust Cisco firewall in place ahead of the
freebsd machines...so I dont -need- to run ipfw...Hmmm...

Actually since the Cisco is dropping any packets already, I wonder if
'blackhole' is simply a stupid idea in the first place...

--
J.D. Bronson - "LoneBandit"
Aurora Health Care // Information Services // Milwaukee, WI USA