portsdb -U fails

Kent Stewart kstewart at owt.com
Fri Jan 30 13:29:54 PST 2004

On Friday 30 January 2004 11:51 am, r t g tan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Have done at least the following:
>  1 -  fresh ports cvsup for all the ports
>  2 -  rm /var/db/pkg/pkgdb.db
>  3 -  pkgdb -F
>
> However portsdb -U fails and generates a lot of
> error messages like the following:
>
>    *** Error code 2: malformed entry: *** Error code 2
>    *** Error code 2: malformed entry: *** Error code 2
>    *** Error code 2: malformed entry: *** Error code 2
>    cd: can't cd to wmthemeinstall: malformed entry: cd: can't cd to
> wmthemeinstall cd: can't cd to wmx: malformed entry: cd: can't cd to
> wmx cd: can't cd to xfce: malformed entry: cd: can't cd to xfce
>
> What is corrupted, and how can I fix this?

Usually it is something a port committer has done. Make index, which is
what I use instead of portsdb -U, was generating an error message but
is producing clean output. You might try using it instead.

I tested both recently and make index was running in 9 minutes on my
system and portsdb -U was about 1.5 times longerr.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA