MySQL 4.x questions...

Peter Risdon peter at circlesquared.com
Fri Jan 30 05:59:05 PST 2004

Eric F Crist wrote:

>Thanks for all your help with this problem.  Both apps seemed to have
>successfully installed now, but they both have errors.  PostNuke keeps
>telling me it's 'Failed to Initialize' and I can't get away from the phpBB
>install script, no matter where I go.  I can try to trouble shoot these on my
>own, though.
>
>Have a good day!

I'd have thought both these errors might stem from a problem writing (as
opposed to connecting) to the relevant databases. Are the schema
installed? It's helpful to check what is actually happening to the
tables if there are any, and there should be.

#mysqlshow -u username -p databasename

will show the tables, if there are any...

#mysql -u username -p databasename
mysql> select * from tablename\G

will show what is in the tables. If this isn't changing during
initialisation/install then there's probably a permissions prob. You can
check permissions as follows (assuming there is a root password):

mysql -u root -p mysql
mysql> select * from db\G

Your output should include a block like this:

                 Host: localhost
                   Db: databasename
                 User: username
          Select_priv: Y